Treating addiction in young adults requires a comprehensive treatment plan that is designed to address the specific issues that young adults face. At Talbott Recovery, we specialize in young adult alcohol and drug treatment with a deftly crafted program for men and women. Through special groups and therapeutic techniques of young adult drug rehab that address the challenges of this group, we can help young adults who are suffering from the disease of addiction.
Understanding Addiction in Young Adults
Treating addiction in young adults through age group-specific drug or alcohol rehab means understanding what oftentimes makes this disease more difficult to treat than in their adult counterparts:
- The addiction lifestyle combined with chemical use influences decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Young adults often experience less tolerance with issues that frustrate them and have difficulty with delayed gratification.
- Normal physical, mental and emotional development is delayed due to mind- and/or mood-altering chemicals.
- Patients may lack concrete thinking skills with a lack of understanding consequences.
- Substance abuse in young adults often accompanies problems with coping skills and appropriate interpersonal relationships. They respond well to treatment and thrive with guidance in the development of healthy relationships.
- Young adults express anxiety in social situations, as well as guilt and shame associated with past relationships. As with their adult counterparts, they tend to use alcohol and drugs to suppress their feelings.
- Depression, Bipolar disorders and other mood disorders are often diagnosed during treatment.
- When treating mood disorders combined with substance abuse in young adults in young adult alcohol rehab, drugs such as the atypical neuroleptics (Risperdol, Seroquel, Zyprexa, Geodon and Abilify) may be useful when treating symptoms such as extreme irritability, aggressiveness, delusions and disorganizing anxiety. Potential benefits versus potential side effects are carefully weighed.
- Family therapy is a crucial element in treating addiction in young people through young adult drug rehab. There may be a history of parental chemical use with their son or daughter, and it remains important to educate patients and family members around their dynamics, recurrent patterns and potential for sabotage.
- While connecting with the young adult is critical to gain trust in the therapeutic relationship of substance abuse counseling, the professionals working with young adults should identify these emotions (agitation, frustration, intimidation, or being overly sympathetic)